Skip to main content

LIBE 477 Inquiry: Fostering Reading Culture in Schools

Reading in the sunshine is the best!
Image from Reading is Fundamental (www.rif.org)
It is well understood in our society that reading is an important skill to develop. Not only do we use it for entertainment or important documents, but it is an important part of our education system. In fact, reading for fun can improve a student's educational performance. So how can we encourage students to read more?

I am a firm believer in modeling the behavior we want to see. In my life, I have heard many people declare that their love of reading began with a read-aloud in school. For older students, we can model just by reading in front of them. Working as a teacher on call, I have exposure to methods used in several schools. At one high school, there is a daily 20 minute period of silent reading every day observed by the entire school. During that time, I would also pull out a book to read, showing that it is a fun activity that will stay with you.

It is also important to meet students where they are. A teacher friend of mine works with English language learners. His method to encourage them to become better readers is to let them read anything at all that sparks their interest and that they feel capable of tackling - be it magazines, graphic novels, short stories, etc. There are some amazing graphic novels out these days and they are a great introduction for more reluctant students to reading for pleasure. One of my personal favorites is Nimona by Noelle Stevenson.

Image result for nimona
If you like shape-shifting teenagers, dragons and magic, Nimona by Noelle Stevenson is for you!
Image care of Amazon.a
I recently learned of high-interest, low-reading level (hi-lo) books, particularly those published by Orca Books, that are designed for high school students with interest in more advanced topics, but are reading at lower levels.

Bones
Bones by John Wilson: a hi-lo young adult novel written for those reading at a Fry level 4.5.
Image from Orca Books (www.orcabook.com)
I believe that students are more likely to read something recommended by their peers, rather than those recommended by librarians or teachers. Including book recommendations and reviews by students in libraries would be great. Perhaps a poster of recommendations from a class, random post-its on a wall with positive words said about a favorite book, or choosing a book of the month from student recommendations.

We need to encourage students by helping them associate reading with positive experiences rather than a chore that needs to be done solely for school.

References:

Stephenson, N. (2015). Nimona. HarperCollins

Whitten, C., Labby, S., & Sullivan, S.L. (2016). The impact of pleasure reading on academic success.  The journal of Multidisciplinary Graduate Research, 2(4), 48-64.

Wilson, J. (2014). Bones. Orca Book Publishers

Comments

  1. Hi, this is Pam from your LIBE 477B class. I never heard of the Orca books until about two years ago. I think they are very useful. I was teaching some students that had a very low reading levels so when selecting books they always found the books they could read too 'kiddy' and would deter them further from reading. So it was great to find these books to help encourage them to read more. I really like your idea of student recommendations for books as well. This will get students talking about books which is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam. This was the first I had heard of them as well. I have a few friends who teach ELL and they told me about them (I also have a friend who is writing a book for them!). Now that I know about it, it just makes so much sense.

      I also have really warmed up to the idea of audiobooks. When I was in school, it seemed like an audio version of a book was too easy and would be cheating. That was, until I took a French literature course in University and the professor was blind - she only listened to the books in audio format. That was sort of the "aha" moment for me when I realized that the format didn't matter - the content of the story was still the same and could be equally studied and appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sonya,
    I agree with what you said that students are more likely to read a book recommended by their peers. I have seen books become fads in schools as a result of a book pop culture being created within peer groups. This can over flow and create a reading culture within a school, where like clothes, books become fashionable. We as teachers and teacher-librarians just need to make sure that we have the desired books available for our students. Anything to get our kids to read! Thank you for your wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for the wonderful comments. I can't wait to try and put some of my ideas (and the recommendations of others) into practice.

      Delete
  3. Great post outlining some important ideas and strategies. I agree that peer recommendations are one of the best ways to introduce potential books to students. I have experimented with FlipGrid and Digital Bookshelves as a way for students to share their books and recommendations with others. I encourage you to share your ideas with a larger audience by posting them on Twitter. You have ideas that are worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darcy,

      I have not checked out FlipGrid or Digital Bookshelves yet. How did you find these tools worked out?
      I will give Twitter a go with this post. My Twitter skills are beginner at best and this would be a great way to get some practice in.

      Delete
    2. Hi again,
      We have used FlipGrid with our Grade 8s it was successful and engaging at first but students lost interest overtime. I need to investigate this a bit more and figure out a better plan as I feel it has potential. I am currently using Digital Bookshleves with some of my classes. The students are really enjoying them. Here is the template for it in Google Slides - please feel free to make a copy and give it a try: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nf8I-oeOCZJ11pQSbCoPH334-b-ET9b_Jeu92FNRNqw/edit?usp=sharing
      I saw your tweet and re-tweeted you! Well done - you are on the path to creating a strong PLN!

      Delete
    3. HI Darcy. Thank you so much! both for the tools and for the exposure on Twitter. I very much appreciate the support.

      Delete
  4. What an informative post. I'm thrilled you discussed Orca books. I find that they are very popular among boys and those student who just want a quick read. I'm a voracious reader and sometimes I forget how intimidating books can be. For me, they have always been a welcomed go-to in my life. I'm always shocked when a student tells me they don't like reading. I love that TLs are looking for new ways to incorporate reluctant readers.

    Nimona is a great example. I love Lumberjanes as well. All graphic novels, Manga and comics are great resources for students and teachers. I know Manga is big at a few schools and students recommend series to each other all the time. I've had a group of students come in and devour Bleach. They planned to read the whole series and one starts with the first five on the first day, then on the second the other person starts and so forth until the whole group has read the series and then the got together to watch the Anime. So I agree that student recommendations are very valuable in increasing book traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reanne,
    I had not thought about Manga as well, but of course! I am working my way through Lumberjanes at the moment. It's super fun as well. Thanks for the feedback! Not having any experience working in a library, my ideas are mostly theoretical, so it's great to hear they can work in practice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: 3D Printers in schools: Who? What? How?... Why?

Last week, when musing on my Final Vision project , I was looking into creating a website to help teachers and librarians with access to 3D printers, but no idea how to use them. But why use 3D printers in schools at all? What use are they to teachers, librarians and students? Kids' drawings turned into 3D printed objects. Image from The Guardian . With school budgets getting cut all the time ( with numerous consequences ), and models for classrooms can get expensive. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can bypass the cost of many classroom tools and just make your own. Want a human skull? Make one ! Need a 3D model of your province? Totally doable ! You can even use a 3D printer to build replacement parts on broken tools or models you already have, getting more life out of them. Just this one tool can be used for all kinds of classroom objects, like making rewards for students - they can even choose their own! A 3D printed model of the anatomy of a human heart. Th

LIBE 477 Inquiry 4: Bringing Libraries to the World

At the beginning of author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's TED Talk, " The Danger of a Single Story ", she tells of her experiences with stories as a young girl in Nigeria. Growing up reading books from Europe and America, the only stories she new were of people with white skin and blue eyes, eating apples and doing other distinctly European activities. Since those were the only stories she had read, that was all she knew to write. It's a powerful example of why it's important to have stories available everywhere by local writers. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie "The Danger of a Single Story". Video care of YouTube. Writing and publishing books around the world would surely have amazing benefits, but is easier said than done. Adichie mentions in her talk the non-profit  Farafina Trust , which currently provides annual writing workshops in Lagos, Nigeria, and their dreams of building and refurbishing libraries there. To be inspired to write, people first need

LIBE 477 Reading Review 3: Digital Literacy Education

While researching the role that learning commons play in digital literacy, I decided to break the topic into several sub-topics. Those were as follows: What is digital literacy and why is it important? How can we teach digital literacy and what role can libraries and/or learning commons play in digital literacy education? What standards are in place for digital literacy education and how are we assessing students’ abilities compared with those standards? Of the three sub-topics, the most discussed appears to be the need for digital literacy and, to a lesser degree, it’s definition. There is no universal definition of digital literacy, but there seems to be a consensus that it involves two larger concepts, plus other peripheral skills. The main concepts are 1) how to use digital technology to find and use information and 2) how to use digital technology to create and share information (Heitin, 2016; ISTE, 2016; Media Smarts, n.d.). However, there seems to be a wide range