Skip to main content

LIBE 477 Inquiry 2: Learning to use my Lenovo Flex 5 - An Example of Developing My ICT Skills

When it comes to technology, I am far from an early adopter. That being said, if I see something that I think will make my life easier or my teaching better, I'm going to jump on it. During my teaching practicum, I had been frustrated that I had no way to physically draw on documents that I was either creating as handouts or showing to the class on the projector. So when I found myself in need of a new laptop, I decided to get one with a tablet option and drawing tools. Until now, I had not learned to use it in any way other than as a conventional laptop. Now is the perfect time to learn, and I decided to document my process as an example of how I develop my own ICT skills as a teacher.

Someday, this will be me. Image care of  Getting Smart.

Initially in this process, I leaned heavily on my personal learning network. I asked fellow teachers what worked for them and consulted my many friends who work in IT for their advice. In the end, I wound up with a Lenovo Flex 5 laptop that converts to a tablet and a Lenovo Active Pen to use with it. Now to figure out how it all works!

Step 1: Read the manual for the Active Pen. I am great at learning the rules and figuring out how to make them work best for me (a skill I probably picked up from board games), so finding out how something is officially meant to work is always my first step. In this case, the manual provided little information other than how to change the batteries and not set yourself on fire. So, no help there.

Note: undesired result. Image care of Softpedia News.

Step 2: Check out the software on the laptop. My laptop had a cute little pen icon in the corner that I don't typically see on other laptops. I assumed it had something to do with my tablet, so I clicked to see what would happen and discovered it is called Windows Ink Workspace, and had two useful tools: one is for taking a screen grab and drawing on it, the other is a blank sketch pad. There were various drawing tools, a highlighter and even a ruler and protractor. I was off to a great start!

No YOU'RE playing Candy Crush. Screen capture using Windows Ink Workspace.

I had achieved one of my goals: Creating custom images to include in documents. But what about drawing live into things like word documents and pdf files? Was this doable? What else was possible with my new toy?

The Active Pen came with a little sticker telling me to download a tool called WRITEit, so I decided to Google it. Apparently it's a tool that converts what you write into typed text. Neat, and something I will file away in the back of my mind for later, but not exactly what I was wanting to do. Also, the website was not working, so that's not a great sign.

Examples of WRITEit in action. Supposedly. Video retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8l_4f9_Ww

Next steps: Google and YouTube. I find internet searches useful for specific questions, so I just looked up how to annotate pdf documents using my new tablet/laptop and immediately found videos, chats on the manufacturer's support page, and more! I also returned to my personal learning network to ask a colleague what they like to use with their tablet.

I now have lots of recommendations to try with my new toy and each new thing I learn just opens up more possibilities. I went from my personal learning network to my own exploration and experimentation, then Google and finally back to my personal learning network. This learning experience has come full circle and I'm certain it will continue to do so in the future.

Too cheesy? Image created using Windows Ink Workspace.
References:

cwby44 (2013). "Software to draw on PDF with the digitized pen". Lenovo Support. Retrieved from https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/Software-to-draw-on-PDF-with-the-digitized-pen/td-p/1055047

Lenovo (2015). Lenovo WRITEit. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8l_4f9_Ww

Magic Monk (2014). How to draw in a PDF file. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqTQ7E8pT8

Comments

  1. I really appreciate the practical approach you took for this post. You developed an effective framework for building your ICT skills by challenging yourself to learn new skills and then recording and reflecting on the process along the way. This framework is an excellent model for others who are wanting a step-by-step guide for developing their skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonya,

    I really liked your blog post. I like to draw on papers while instructing the class. I worked in a school that didn't have much technology so I had to use the good-old-reliable overhead projector for it! It worked but wasn't the most convenient thing to use. I haven't looked into any tech to replace it but I like your idea of the laptop/tablet that allows you to write on it. You presented your learning in a way that was easy to follow. And I loved the picture of the burning laptop - made me laugh. Thanks for sharing! I will be looking into this.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! I was thinking of the old overheads when I was teaching. I wanted to be able to do what they did just like that. The program I have seen used is called One Note. You import your files (pdfs, PowerPoint presentations) and you can draw and erase on them. Some teachers used them to fill in blanks and draw diagrams with the class following along.

    If you want, we can make a coffee date and I'll show you what I have on my laptop and you can try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: 3D Printers in schools: Who? What? How?... Why?

Last week, when musing on my Final Vision project , I was looking into creating a website to help teachers and librarians with access to 3D printers, but no idea how to use them. But why use 3D printers in schools at all? What use are they to teachers, librarians and students? Kids' drawings turned into 3D printed objects. Image from The Guardian . With school budgets getting cut all the time ( with numerous consequences ), and models for classrooms can get expensive. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can bypass the cost of many classroom tools and just make your own. Want a human skull? Make one ! Need a 3D model of your province? Totally doable ! You can even use a 3D printer to build replacement parts on broken tools or models you already have, getting more life out of them. Just this one tool can be used for all kinds of classroom objects, like making rewards for students - they can even choose their own! A 3D printed model of the anatomy of a human heart. Th

LIBE 477 Inquiry 4: Bringing Libraries to the World

At the beginning of author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's TED Talk, " The Danger of a Single Story ", she tells of her experiences with stories as a young girl in Nigeria. Growing up reading books from Europe and America, the only stories she new were of people with white skin and blue eyes, eating apples and doing other distinctly European activities. Since those were the only stories she had read, that was all she knew to write. It's a powerful example of why it's important to have stories available everywhere by local writers. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie "The Danger of a Single Story". Video care of YouTube. Writing and publishing books around the world would surely have amazing benefits, but is easier said than done. Adichie mentions in her talk the non-profit  Farafina Trust , which currently provides annual writing workshops in Lagos, Nigeria, and their dreams of building and refurbishing libraries there. To be inspired to write, people first need

LIBE 477 Reading Review 3: Digital Literacy Education

While researching the role that learning commons play in digital literacy, I decided to break the topic into several sub-topics. Those were as follows: What is digital literacy and why is it important? How can we teach digital literacy and what role can libraries and/or learning commons play in digital literacy education? What standards are in place for digital literacy education and how are we assessing students’ abilities compared with those standards? Of the three sub-topics, the most discussed appears to be the need for digital literacy and, to a lesser degree, it’s definition. There is no universal definition of digital literacy, but there seems to be a consensus that it involves two larger concepts, plus other peripheral skills. The main concepts are 1) how to use digital technology to find and use information and 2) how to use digital technology to create and share information (Heitin, 2016; ISTE, 2016; Media Smarts, n.d.). However, there seems to be a wide range