Skip to main content

LIBE 477: Final Vision Brainstorming

I have been thinking a lot about what I believe would make a good library and what modern libraries are for, but it is now time to consider the creation of something practical- a tool to help the efficient and effective use of school libraries in the future. However, as a teacher with little experience in the classroom, let alone in a library, it's going to take some thinking to know what to produce.

Image result for person in library
Looks like I, too, may need to visit a library. Image care of Whitehots.

Through my recent inquiries, I have definitely refined and cemented what I consider to be my personal teaching philosophy. Reading Will Richardson's Why School?, I really came to believe that technology is an integral part of inquiry learning in the 21st century, and that it really the "how to" skills that need to be taught in school, rather than the "what". And if we aren't teaching students piles of facts anymore, we have to think about what skills are important, and what can make school better. Some things that I have learned are important to me are: radical inclusiveness, creating practical projects in schools with real audiences in mind, student choice and varying of formats used to teach, collaboration (between classes and with groups/people outside of schools).

Transferring these philosophies to modern libraries, I would like to create a project that supports some aspect of inclusiveness, teaching with a wide variety of formats, creating real-world projects, or collaboration. I would like this to be useful to teachers and relevant to the library. Creating the most inclusive library environment possible would be a huge challenge. I would love to look into what people are doing to make them accessible to everyone. This doesn't just include physically accessible, but intellectually and culturally accessible as well. What would a super inclusive library even look like? I would love to look more into it.

Image result for inclusive library
Agreed! Image care of Library Sparks.

One of the most inspiring writing prompts in this course for me was to write about how we can support the ICT development for teachers. I think this was at least in part because I have more experience as a teacher and can see how this would be practical for me. I found tons of resources and interesting materials on how to use technology in the classroom. The library at the high school where I did my practicum had a 3D printer, and I have always wanted to know how one works. Even more than that, I would love to know how people have been incorporating it into lesson plans. Perhaps a practical guide to using 3D printers for teaching would both help me learn and create an interesting resource for fellow teachers lucky enough to have access to such a tool. This would fit in really well with my personal interests and the idea of "how to" becoming more and more relevant.

Image result for kids 3d printer
Kids can easily use 3D printers from ready-made design templates. Image care of all3dp.com

I think this would best be created as a blog post linking to great resources that already exist, but I have more to learn before deciding. Perhaps a couple of blog posts instead, for example 1) how to use 3D printers 2) how to incorporate 3D printers in the inquiry classroom



Works Cited:

Neilson, Sonya (2019). LIBE 477 Inquiry 3: Supporting Teachers' ICT Development. Retrieved from https://svneilson.blogspot.com/2019/02/libe-477-inquiry-3-supporting-teachers.html

Richardson, Will (2012). Why School? How Education Must Change When Learning and Information Are Everywhere [Kindle Single]. TED Conferences.

schwarz (2018). Inclusive Services Assessment Guide for Public Libraries. Retrieved from https://sparks.winnefox.org/node/700

Ultimaker (2019).  3D Printing in the Classroom. Retrieved from https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/education/3d-printing-in-the-classroom

Comments

  1. You discuss two strong areas for your final vision project here. I am intrigued by your ideas about inclusive libraries. I think this could be very helpful for teacher-librarians. Perhaps a digital “how-to” guide with links to booklists, design considerations, lesson ideas/strategies etc. I also like your ideas about 3D printing. Perhaps something like a website with pages to share lesson plan ideas, project showcase, and tips and tricks. The tricky part now will be deciding which direction to take. Please reach out if you want to bounce ideas around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used a 3D printer so if you create something about how to use one and links to resources and lesson ideas, I would be very interested in that! I've never seen a real 3D printer, so I am jealous you have been able to use one. Since I don't have much experience with them I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. I've been on the fence all week trying to decide which one I should do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: 3D Printers in schools: Who? What? How?... Why?

Last week, when musing on my Final Vision project , I was looking into creating a website to help teachers and librarians with access to 3D printers, but no idea how to use them. But why use 3D printers in schools at all? What use are they to teachers, librarians and students? Kids' drawings turned into 3D printed objects. Image from The Guardian . With school budgets getting cut all the time ( with numerous consequences ), and models for classrooms can get expensive. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can bypass the cost of many classroom tools and just make your own. Want a human skull? Make one ! Need a 3D model of your province? Totally doable ! You can even use a 3D printer to build replacement parts on broken tools or models you already have, getting more life out of them. Just this one tool can be used for all kinds of classroom objects, like making rewards for students - they can even choose their own! A 3D printed model of the anatomy of a human heart. Th

LIBE 477 Inquiry 4: Bringing Libraries to the World

At the beginning of author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's TED Talk, " The Danger of a Single Story ", she tells of her experiences with stories as a young girl in Nigeria. Growing up reading books from Europe and America, the only stories she new were of people with white skin and blue eyes, eating apples and doing other distinctly European activities. Since those were the only stories she had read, that was all she knew to write. It's a powerful example of why it's important to have stories available everywhere by local writers. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie "The Danger of a Single Story". Video care of YouTube. Writing and publishing books around the world would surely have amazing benefits, but is easier said than done. Adichie mentions in her talk the non-profit  Farafina Trust , which currently provides annual writing workshops in Lagos, Nigeria, and their dreams of building and refurbishing libraries there. To be inspired to write, people first need

LIBE 477 Reading Review 3: Digital Literacy Education

While researching the role that learning commons play in digital literacy, I decided to break the topic into several sub-topics. Those were as follows: What is digital literacy and why is it important? How can we teach digital literacy and what role can libraries and/or learning commons play in digital literacy education? What standards are in place for digital literacy education and how are we assessing students’ abilities compared with those standards? Of the three sub-topics, the most discussed appears to be the need for digital literacy and, to a lesser degree, it’s definition. There is no universal definition of digital literacy, but there seems to be a consensus that it involves two larger concepts, plus other peripheral skills. The main concepts are 1) how to use digital technology to find and use information and 2) how to use digital technology to create and share information (Heitin, 2016; ISTE, 2016; Media Smarts, n.d.). However, there seems to be a wide range